Fly a King Air 200? Don’t worry about NCC.

Business aircraft operators need to comply with new European rules (Commission Regulation (EU) 956/2012). This regulation includes new operating rules (Part-NCC) and new organisational requirements (Part-ORO) that mean operators will need have a ‘management system’ including safety risk assessment and compliance monitoring processes.

The definition of complex motor-powered aircraft includes all jet aircraft and twin-turboprops (article 3 of Regulation (EC) 216/2008); however the European Commission has now published a derogation (article 2(c) of Commission Regulation 2016/1199) that allows twin-engine turboprops with a maximum take-off mass of less than 5700kg, like the B200 ‘King Air’, to be operated under the rules for non-commercial operators (known as ‘Part-NCO’) instead of ‘Part-NCC’. The derogation will also mean that operators of these aeroplanes will not need to comply with the management system requirements of ‘Part-ORO’. This is a significant concession and if you followed my earlier advice not to rush into making changes to your operation then you’ll have saved a lot of unnecessary work. If you operate a jet or larger turbo-prop (like the King Air 350) then you’ll need to put the necessary changes in place.

Latest Articles

What are Operational Credits?

New rules for all-weather operations are being introduced in Europe. These include provisions for approach operations with “operational credits”, but what is an operation...

Read Article

Why can’t the EU recognise UK pilots’ licences?

You have a pilot’s licence issued by the UK CAA. You complete the same training and checking as someone who has a licence issued by an EU state. Until 2021 you could fly an a...

Read Article

Who’s going to manage your Business Jet?

If you are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy the advantages of business aviation (private jet travel) then there may come a time when you decide to invest in your own airc...

Read Article

UK ATOs approved by EASA

Back in the days when the United Kingdom (UK) was a member of the European Union (EU) approved training organisations (ATOs) in the UK could train pilots holding licences iss...

Read Article

Can I buy an Air Operators' Certificate?

If you’re planning to start an airline, then the process of applying for an air operators’ certificate (AOC) and operating licence (AOL) can take many months. Is it possible ...

Read Article

How to start an airline on the cheap

The pandemic of 2020 destroyed many airlines. The loss of demand may be temporary, but there is a consensus that there will also be permanent changes to the travel industry. ...

Read Article

Regulations for aircraft ferrying

(or, why I don’t want to ferry an aircraft for you)One sector of the aviation industry that has benefitted from the covid pandemic is aircraf...

Read Article

Can I use MS Flight Simulator to train for my pilot’s licence?

Flight simulators are everywhere. People have them in their garages and bedrooms, excellent software packages such as Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane are available for...

Read Article